The Alma Hotel has been awarded the sustainability certificate *Level II – engaged* by Switzerland Tourism since December 2022.
The certificate confirms our sustainable corporate management and it promotes the ongoing development in terms of sustainability.
You can find out more about Swisstainable here: Swisstainable
The Alma Hotel is operated by Sinn & Gewinn Hotels. Sustainability has always made sense to us. For over 20 years, social integration has been one of our priorities – our hotels offer a sheltered workplace for women experiencing difficult conditions (find out more here). The integration team of the former LADY’s FIRST – as the Alma used to be called – will continue to be responsible for housekeeping and breakfast at the Alma Hotel. In addition, we also offer many part-time positions in all other areas of the hotel – our key phrase being work-life balance!
At the new Alma Hotel, ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ and organic, environmentally friendly products are at the heart of everything we do. How about a few examples? The old chairs from the breakfast room found a new home in another area of business. Our 20-year-old bathrooms were found to be in good condition and should remain in service for a few years yet. The new breakfast offer: regional, fair trade and, wherever possible, organic. In their rooms our guests will find regional care products from farfalla full of lots of organic ingredients. Our façade greening helps to mitigate building heating on hot days, reduce the heat island effect and thus positively influence the urban climate.
Renting out hotel rooms is, of course, profitable for us and therefore sustainable in the economic sense. As is the sale of services on the wellness floor. And organising events. And sometimes economy and ecology go wonderfully hand in hand: we’ve done away with minibars in guest rooms. This saves financial resources, grey energy for manufacturing the appliances and a lot of electricity – because small refrigerators are real power guzzlers.
What else does sustainability
mean to us?
At our hotel, we like our regulars. We maintain long-term relationships with our suppliers and partners. Our team of employees has above-average loyalty to the company – and also takes above-average pleasure in serving our guests. Because for us, sustainability also means long-term relationships with our customers, suppliers and employees. The best conditions for sustainable profit.
- Natural cosmetics from farfalla
- Linen is only changed on request
- Employment of women with mental or cognitive impairments
- No minibars in the rooms, a fridge in the guest kitchen instead
- Honesty bar – we count on our local partners
- Vegetarian breakfast buffet – regional, seasonal and organic if possible
- High-quality Zurich water (from the tap)
- Strict waste separation and consistent recycling of all materials
- Paperless communication with guests
- Information is shared online, i.e. no printed brochures or flyers
- Contribution to biodiversity through our wild bee house
- 100% electricity from Swiss hydropower